Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 135 > Jack In The Pulpit

I'm beginning to think that a bit of skill with the camera is sometimes slightly less important than the willingness to do what it takes to capture a particular image.
To gain a greater appreciation for what is required to photograph a plant like the Jack In The Pulpit from this low angle, it needs to be understood that this can only be accomplished with one's head firmed planted in the leaf litter of the forest floor. When doing this, I don't look first to see what might be crawling in the spot where my head will rest because I realize that surely something is living there and maybe it's best not to know. Luckily, I'm not squeamish.

This plant
get's it's common name from it's odd flower: A pouch shaped spathe ("pulpit") with an overhanging hood that surrounds a fingerlike central spadix ( "Jack").


.

1 comment: