Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 177 . Nature Near At Hand


"The most precious things of life are near at hand, without money and without price. Each of you has the whole wealth of the universe at your very door."

- John Burroughs from his book Signs and Seasons

As a boy I was always fascinated by the mushrooms that would appear literally overnight in the yard. Without any regard for whether or not they might be unsafe to handle I would pick them and marvel at their gilled undersides.
That childhood fascination has not diminished in the least so even now each new mushroom to pop up in the lawn causes me to pause for a moment to check it out. Of course now I refrain from picking them but from time to time I can be found spawled on the ground in the backyard getting a closer look, in this case with camera in hand. I can only imagine what the neighbors think!

No comments:

Post a Comment